Google Apps - Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Google Apps for Education?
A suite of free cloud-based productivity tools that offer exciting collaboration tools and applications used in education and industry. We have created an educational domain called FRSU38.ORG and will offer specific applications to the 2-6th Grade students and 7-12th Grade Students.
2. What tools are available to the students and employees within the school districts?
- Students from 2-6th Grade are offered: Google Drive, Google Calendar, and Google Site. Google Drive combines unlimited cloud storage with 5 applications called Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Drawings. Google Email, Google Contacts, Google+, and Google Hangout are disabled.
- Students from Grades 7-12 are offered: Google Drive, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Google Sites, Google Groups, and Google Email.
3. Please explain these tools in more detail.
- Google Drive: Students can create and share documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. They can collaborate in real-time with students and teachers within their school.
- Google Calendar: Organize schedules and share events and calendars with others.
- Google Contacts: Organize personal contacts and create personal mailing lists.
- Google Sites: Work together to keep related documents, web content and other information in one place, on one site.
- Google Hangout: Instant Messaging (IM) and video teleconferencing tool via a web browser or chat application.
- Google Mail: Enabled for grade 7 students and above. Student email will be listed as firstname.lastname@example.org and staff email is email@example.com. All email records are retained for 7 years.
4. Why use Google Apps for Education?
- To provide students the latest technology applications that promote real-time collaboration, peer editing, and much more with other students and teachers
- To give students the ability to work on their projects throughout the schools and anywhere from any Internet connected device
- To facilitate “paperless” transfer of work between students and teachers
- Provide unlimited long-term storage space for student work
- A cost savings in terms of software licensing, hardware, and technical support
5. How do students and employees access these tools?
With a valid and active user account and password, students and employees can access these tools from any computer within the school and any computer with an internet connection outside of the school. In addition, these accounts are used in conjunction with Chromebooks, a simplistic laptop designed to work specifically with Google Apps for Education.
6. Are students subjected to advertisements and is their data used for advertising purposes?
There are no ads in Google Apps for Education Services. Google does not scan for advertising purposes in Gmail or other Google Apps services. Google does not collect or use data in Google Apps services for advertising purposes.
7. How does Google address the security of the data?
"Google Apps and Google Cloud Platform are certified for SSAE 16/ISAE 3402 Type II, received the SOC2 audit and the ISO 27001 certification. This means that an independent auditor has examined the controls protecting the data in Google Apps (including logical security, privacy and data center security) and assured that these controls are in place and operating effectively.
Data is encrypted at several levels. Google forces HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) for all transmissions between users and Google Apps services and uses Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) for all its services. Google also encrypts message transmissions with other mail servers using 256-bit Transport Layer Security (TLS) and utilizes 2048 RSA encryption keys for the validation and key exchange phases. This protects message communications when client users send and receive emails with external parties also using TLS." Reference: https://support.google.com/googleforwork/answer/6056693
8. Are student accounts ever disabled or removed (such as in the summer)?
Student accounts remain active so long as the student remains enrolled in the Frontier Regional and Union 38 School Districts to include the summer vacation. When a student leaves the districts, the account will be deleted. At any time deemed necessary, the school administration may suspend a student's account.
9. Are Parental Consent forms required annually?
No, once the initial form is signed, the student is granted access to the current Google Apps for Education. If there is a change in technology or applications provided, a new form will be sent out. At any time, parents have the right to suspend a student's account.
10. Must the parent sign and return the consent form to the school for their child to use Google Apps for Education?
Yes. The schools must maintain a signed copy of the consent form.
Back to Google Apps for Education Overview