Student Technology Devices
The Frontier Regional/Union#38 Schools (FRSU38) is continuing its 1:1 Chromebook program for the upcoming school year. The purpose of the chromebook device program at Frontier Regional School is to promote equitable access to technology and provide additional collaboration tools for all learners, opportunities for creativity and innovation, enhance students’ ability to engage with educational online content, promote the development of self-directed and personalized learning and become well versed in digital citizenship.
Every 9th through 12th grader will be issued a Chromebook to be used while a student in the Frontier Regional School. This will allow for seamless integration of technology under the direction of our educators. The Frontier Regional/Union#38 Schools loan the Chromebooks to students and retains ownership of each device. We will distribute a Chromebook to each student to use for educational purposes during the school year if parents/guardians have agreed to the loan of technology agreement and acceptable use policy. When a student leaves the district, the Chromebook must be turned into the OIT department. With the privilege of being issued a Chromebook comes responsibilities for the parent/guardian and for the student.
Chromebook Student and Parent Understandings
1. All students accessing the FRSU38 network or using an FRSU38-issued device must comply with the Acceptable Use Policy and rules/procedures explained in each classroom.
2. The Chromebooks are on loan to students and remain the property of FRSU38.
3. All users are accountable to all school, district, local, state, and federal laws.
4. Students and families must follow all guidelines outlined in the Chromebook Handbook and by each teacher.
5. All rules are in effect before, during, and after school hours for all FRSU38 computers whether on or off the school campus.
6. All files stored in the @stu.frsu38.org accounts for any individual are subject to review and monitoring.
7. Students are expected to keep the Chromebooks in good condition. Failure to do so may result in bills for repair or replacement.
8. Insurance through Worth Ave. Group is optional and strongly encouraged to protect devices against cracked screens, liquid spills, theft, and vandalism.
9. Students will retain their device each year they are in attendance at Frontier Regional School.
10. The replacement cost for the Chromebook and warranty is $300.00.
11. The Chromebook warranty will cover normal wear and tear along with other damage that might occur during normal use of the Chromebook. If your child is found to have intentionally damaged their device, they will be responsible for replacement costs.
12. Students are expected to report any damage to their Chromebook as soon as possible and no later than the next school day.
13. Students are expected to notify a staff member immediately if they come across information, images, or messages that are inappropriate, dangerous, threatening, or make them feel uncomfortable.
14. Students may only log in under their assigned school issued username. Students may not share their password with other students.
15. Students must share their password and login information with their parent/guardian.
16. Students may not loan their Chromebook to other students for any reason. Students who do so are responsible for any loss or damage.
17. Loaner chromebooks will only be available to those students whose device is out for repair.
18. Students are responsible for their charging cables. Lost charging cables will need to be replaced and cost approximately $20. Insurance does not cover the charging cable. Students are encouraged to label their charging cable with their name.
- All Grade PreK-K students will have access to technology during the school day as determined by the teacher.
- All Grade 1-8 students will have access to a classroom collection of Chromebooks to use during the school day as determined by the teacher.
- All Grade 9 students will receive a new chromebook for them to use during their time at Frontier Regional School.
- All Grade 9 – 12 students and parents will need to review the Chromebook Handbook and agree to the loan of technology agreement upon receiving a Chromebook and charger. Click here for a copy of the Chromebook Handbook.
Due to the rising costs of parts and volume of device repairs, families will be charged for replacement parts on damaged chromebooks beginning this school year. Parents/guardians may choose to take out insurance on the school device or pay the fees associated with the replacement parts. You can find the list of parts with prices by visiting this spreadsheet. You can learn more about optional insurance information in the drop down below.
Please contact your school principal with any questions or concerns.
Chromebook Care & Maintenance
- Students experiencing any issues with their chromebook must contact the Office of Technology in room A210. You must not bring the Chromebook to a third party for repair. All repairs must be handled exclusively by Frontier Regional School. Repairs must not be attempted by students or parents.
- Parents and guardians agree to reimburse Frontier Regional School for any expenses or damages incurred by accident, misuse, misplacement, and theft of the school owned device(s).
- Chromebook insurance is available to cover accidental damages.
- Manufacture defects will remain the financial responsibility of the school.
Chromebooks Under Repairs
- In most cases a loaner Chromebooks will be issued to students when they leave their school-issued Chromebook for repair.
- A student borrowing a Chromebook will be responsible for any damage to or loss of the loaned device.
- When students are using a loaner device, because their device is being repaired, they may keep the device for the entire school day and bring the device home.
- An email will be sent to the user when their Chromebook is repaired. The family will receive an invoice detailing the type of repair and any fee that is owed.
- The loaner Chromebook must be returned before students can claim their device.
Care of Device Guidelines
- General Precautions to Ensure Care of Devices
No food or drink should be next to Chromebooks.
Cords, cables, and removable storage devices must be inserted carefully into the Chromebook.
Chromebooks should not be exposed to extreme temperatures, for example leaving it in a car overnight during the winter or on a hot day.
Chromebooks should not be used with the power cord plugged in when the cord may be a tripping hazard.
Heavy objects should never be placed on top of Chromebooks.
- Back packs containing Chromebooks should be handled with care. Always transport Chromebooks with care
- Never lift Chromebooks by the screen.
- Never carry Chromebooks with the screen open
- The Chromebook screen can be damaged if subjected to heavy objects, rough treatment, some cleaning solvents, and other liquids. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure.
- Do not put pressure on the top of a Chromebook when it is closed.
- Do not store a Chromebook with the screen open.
- Do not place anything in the protective case that will press against the cover.
- Make sure there is nothing on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens, pencils, or disks).
- Only clean the screen with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or anti-static cloth.
- Sound must be muted at all times unless permission is obtained from a teacher.
- Headphones / earbuds may be used at the discretion of the teachers.
Chromebook Repair Costs
|Chromebook Part||Repair Part Cost|
|11.6″ LCD Screen||$70.00|
|Hinge Trim Cover||$30.00|
|Chromebook damaged beyond repair||$300|
|Chromebook charger replacement||$20|
Optional Chromebook Insurance
Frontier Regional School District has chosen Worth Ave. Group as the vendor of choice to insure school issued Chromebooks. Insurance with Worth Ave. Group will protect the device against ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE, FIRE, FLOOD, NATURAL DISASTERS, POWER SURGE and VANDALISM. This insurance policy will provide full replacement cost coverage and will protect the item worldwide (on and off school grounds). The policy is also transferable to a replacement unit.
- Deductible: $0
- Term: 1 year
- Insurance Cost per year: $20.00 plus transaction fee for online payments
What is the replacement cost of Chromebook?
Replacement cost of the Chromebook is $300.00
Did the school purchase a warranty when they were purchased?
Current chromebooks used in the district do not have an extended warranty.
If a student does not bring his/her Chromebook to school:
A student may borrow a Chromebook, if available, for a class block that requires the use of the Chromebook on that day. Students will be responsible for returning the loaned device to the OIT office at the end of the block. A student borrowing a Chromebook will be responsible for any damage to or loss of the loaned device.
If a student’s Chromebook has no charge:
A charging station is provided in the OIT office where the device can be left to charge. Power Chargers will not be lent out to students.
Who do I report problems with my device or unauthorized activity?
Always report any issues related to the device or online activity to the IT Department or School Administration.
Is online activity being filtered and monitored?
The online activity of students is always being filtered on and off school network, 24/7
The online activity of students is monitored and recorded between the hours of school, Monday through Friday.
When are devices issued to students?
New Chromebooks will be issued at the start of each each school year.
Students that are unable to attend the scheduled issue dates can visit the Office of Information Technology in room A210.
Are personal devices allowed as a replacement for the school Chromebook?
Personal devices are not permitted as a substitute device for the chromebook. WiFi network access will not be provided for student personal devices during school hours. School Chromebooks are configured for school related activities such as school purchased apps, web filtering, classroom management software and standardized testing.
In rare cases BYOD access may be required. Requests for permissions should be submitted to the OIT Department for approval.
Can I take my device home during the school year?
Students will be allowed to carry and transport the school issued Chromebook to and from school.
Is my device protected from viruses?
Virus protection is built into the Chrome OS design. Additional security logs are monitored by the IT staff.
Will the device work without an internet connection?
Google Apps Email, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Drawings will work in an offline environment. Generally, a WiFi internet connection is recommended in order to gain access to the most current information.
Does my device receive updates?
Chrome OS updates will occur automatically and may require a restart to complete.
Teachers may request additional Apps/Extensions by submitting a ticket request to the OIT. Each request will need to be evaluated by the OIT for compatibility, functionality and data privacy. Once an App/Extension is approved you will be notified with instructions on how to access the app/extension.
Am I required to return the device if I unenroll or graduate from Frontier Regional School?
Yes, students who withdraw from Frontier must return their device and power supply to the Office of Information Technology in room A210. Failure to return the device will result in a replacement charge,
Yes, graduating students must return their device and power supply. Failure to return the items will result in a charge for device replacement.
Am I required to return the device before departing on summer break?
MS students must return their device each year prior to the summer break. This allows OIT to inventory all devices, repair known problems, and ensure devices are ready for the start of the school year.
Can I personalize my assigned Chromebooks?
High School Students are encouraged to personalize the cover of their chromebook for easy identification. Static-cling decals that peel off easily are encouraged so that students can easily identify their Chromebook visually. Media is subject to inspection, and must follow Frontier Regional School’s Acceptable Use Policy.
Middle School Chromebooks are encouraged to mark their device appropriately for identification purposes but we ask them to limit writing, drawing, stickers, paint, tape, adhesives and labels as these devices will be issued to different students in the coming years.
How can a student print school work and educationally related material?
We are encouraging students and staff to share documents via Google Drive rather than printing. Google Classroom is a tool teachers are using to facilitate the sharing of assignments between students & teachers. We do know that some assignments need to be printed. Your child is able to access all assignments and documents saved in Google Drive on any computer with internet access. He/she/they would be able to print from a computer directly connected to a printer.
In school, High School Students can print to a Laserjet printer located in the Library or A Wing second floor. Middle School Students can print to the Laserjet printer located in the Library or Middle School hallway.
Is my data being backup?
Data stored locally on the chromebook is not backed up in any manner.
Data lost or deleted within Google Drive generally is recoverable by the OIT staff up to 30 days.
What is the security like on a Chromebook?
Visit this page to learn more about the multi-layers of protection included on each Chromebook.